Thursday, January 27, 2011

Therapeutic Thursday: Vodoo Dolls

Teenagers Voodoo Anger Doll
Teenagers Voodoo Anger Doll


Of all the different age groups that I work with, I think working with teenagers stretches my creative abilities the most. A boy that I was working with this week said that he wished he could just give his anger to someone who could turn it into something else. Then we remembered voodoo dolls. We made voodoo dolls and pinned to their chests what we wanted them to work with. It was a creative and  fun way to work with something that was frustrating and confusing for him. Creating art about our struggles helps us ponder things freshly. Detachment (giving anger to the voodoo doll) paradoxically makes us more present. This exercise lead to an interesting conversation of different ways he could react when angry. I love this job!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a fabulous idea Karen!!

A bird in the hand said...

I love your job, too!! Handing over the anger to a voodoo doll is really inspired.

Karen Wallace said...

Thanks Alesha! Hugs Karen

The Creative Beast said...

LOL!! i LOVE this!!! i once made a 'voodoo' doll of a terrible boss for my coworker that received the brunt of the bad behavior from the awful boss - it helped her cope until we were all out of that dreadful workplace =-)

Karen, I work for a non-profit agency that deals with low income children and youth and I hear about behavior issues almost daily but all upper management wants to focus on is education and getting a good job. How can you do that if you don't deal with underlying issues of unworthiness and anger due to the poverty these children live in? And don't get me started on the attitude toward Art Enrichment around here...

I think it's great that you are using such amazing artistic creativity to help these young adults with their feelings of anger, Karen. It's clear you are making a difference in their lives =-)!

Carole said...

You have a great job! What a great way to work through anger.

Anonymous said...

mmm!

it works for tribsal people, so why not?

The first thing I made in highschool art was a voodoo doll...

Karen Wallace said...

Thanks for the kind comments! Hugs Karen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive